View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
DangerOneDanger
Captain

Awarded:

re: Monday Night Book Club

Skonn, Loni, Jammer, Scot and myself were discussing an idea a few nights back. Skonn had a sudden moment of enlightenment and proposed a "Book Club-like" event for the Fleet to participate in. I liked the idea, and thought it should be brought to everyone's attention.

The idea is straightforward, every week or so, the "Club" reviews an episode from a Trek series. We then get together on mumble and discuss our thoughts on the episode (and maybe learn something if we ain't careful!). We could also do a Trek movie on occasion (I think a new one is coming up, no?) tongue out

I proposed that this weeks (okay, it was last weeks) episode be "Where no man has gone", to my knowledge, we have yet to meet and talk about it.

I propose Monday Night, mainly because I will be home that night this week. However, any night will do.

Any interest? Skonn, anything you would like to add?

Danger (who has no clever signature at the moment)
mark (James Bailey)
Fleet Council

Awarded:

I really like this idea!! I am IN!. I have more of a chance watching Star Trek than to get onto the game these days. (yukon stability factor)

We should put it on the Fleet Night next to Levelling Night!

Awarded:

Danger, you covered it completely, I would say Happy

We'll pick the episodes by request, and everyone will get their say. All series (including TAS) are fair game.

And you should definitely join us, Mark! We can do this on the RP channel on Mumble so as to not spam.
Dan (mygod_itsfullofstars)
Fleet Duty Officer

This sounds fantastic! Count me in for sure.

I also did suggest way back when that if there were enough interested people, I'd be up for a book book club. I know there are a lot of ST novels out there and I've ready almost none of them.

That said, the episode idea of great. Thanks for suggesting it.
Skonn
Fleet Council

Awarded:

The book club is a great idea, Dan, and one that I'm all for! We should bring it up Happy

I suggested episodes because they're much easier to find (what with netflix, cbs.com, and other ways for everyone to find them) and because they will take up less time, and I know how busy a lot of our fleeties are.

So here's this week's episode hype blurb:

Forum Image

The Original Series, Season one (numbering varies)
"Where no man has gone before"

What lies beyond the Galactic Barrier? Some of the Enterprise's crew has found out... will the rest survive to tell the tale?

The episode that started it all! "The cage" may have been the original pilot, but it was "where no man..." that truly sold the series. Join us in discussing this Sci fi milestone!
ironhead1982

I watched the episode last week and I will be there Monday to review it with the fleet. Looking forward to it. See you guys there.
mark (James Bailey)
Fleet Council

Awarded:

Let's get the rules strait! The first rule of Star Trek Book Club is that you never mention Book Club ;)

So when is our first meeting of...uh...not the book club?

And that silver eye look is so 60s.
Skonn
Fleet Council

Awarded:

First meeting is Monday night on the Fleet Mumble RP channel. I think 9 pm EST is a good starting time, unless it doesn't work for someone. See you there!
DangerOneDanger
Captain

Awarded:

I think we're going for more of an 11-ish EST.....to accommodate a few more folk's (me included, I just got hit up for an extra shift tonight mad ).
I have the blue ray fired up with the episode ready to go, might as well play it in the background!

Cyas there!
Danger
Dan (mygod_itsfullofstars)
Fleet Duty Officer

Hey all,

I can tell I won't be able to make it tonight. Kinda a long day. I'll do my best to make it next time. I'm bummed, but hope you all have fun.

Best
DangerOneDanger
Captain

Awarded:

I had a fun time last might! It was a very cool mix of Trek and plain old socializing with the Fleet.

Loni has chosen next weeks episode "The Specter of the Gun", we thought we'd try two episodes so "The Way to Eden" was also selected.....(only because I let it be known that I enjoy "Spock's Brain" more than that episode tongue out )

Where we giving out "points", you would get "bonus points" for singing the Hippy Song that Spock jam's out to!

Looking forward to next Monday Night!
Skonn
Fleet Council

Awarded:

Here's our blurb for next week:

Forum Image

The Original Series: "Spectre of the Gun" (Season 3, episode 1)

The "cowboy episode". Often brought up to bash the third season, "Spectre" is an episode that, apparently, only die-hard TOS fans have watched... until now! Is it really as bad as they say? Let's find out!

Forum Image

The Original Series: "The Way to Eden" (Season 3, episode 20)

And speaking of season 3...

Space hippies. Perhaps not the best episode story-wise, "Eden" does have a healthy dose of social commentary. And, like "Spectre", it's an episode that prominently features Chekov! How did Gene REALLY feel about hippies? Tune in and find out!

Last night was a lot of fun, and I'd like to thank all who joined. Check the gallery for pictures of the shenanigans. I'd like to point out to everyone who didn't get a chance to join us that we'll do two episodes per week, and that we will do them by request, everyone will get their say, and all the series are fair game, not just TOS.

Dan suggested a real book club, and we brought the idea to the table last night. So we reached this consensus, and everyone is free to discuss it:

Mark will try locating the Pocket novels on PDF, so that they're readily available to us. As a lot of our fleeties have very busy days, we'll do one novel (or two.. we'll see how it goes) per month. First Mondays of the month could be our true book club days. How does that sound? If everyone agrees, all that's left is to pick the first ones to read.

Hope more people join us next week!
ironhead1982

I really enjoyed last nights discussion and I would love to see more of the fleet join us. I vote next time we meet at K-7 if we are all Feds or quarks if we have a mix. What do you guys think?

Hopefully in the near future we will be able to meet in the lounge of our own Fleet starbase. I am really looking forward to season 6 for that.
mark (James Bailey)
Fleet Council

Awarded:

Yes that was a lot of fun!! I would totally suggest that everyone gives this a try. I know James R Kirk would! ;)

Page 1 of 9

Jump to: