View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Richard Trent
STO_Armsman
Commodore

re: Monday Night Book Club

Okay - I actually watched a VOY episode; and while I have to say I still find the VOY EMH it's second most annoying character (behind Neelix); having Andy Dick play the EMH MkII was actually pretty funny. (Love to see the blooper reel on that one.) -- overall, I still hate VOY; but that wasn't the worst episode of the Star Trek franhise I've watched over the years.

Reminder to watch the episodes for tomorrow's book club.
Vexashen
Vexashen
Fleet Council

Awarded:

andy dick + star trek = space blow?

Awarded:

Vexashen (Edward Teach) wrote:
andy dick + star trek = space blow?

Friends don't let friends drink and post.

Awarded:

how dare you sir!

how dare you sir!

He is correct. What the heck was Andy Dick doing as an EMH? That would be like Rodney Dangerfield voicing a gaseous entity in TOS.
Skonn
Fleet Council

Awarded:

After a lengthy absence due to computer issues, I'm finally back, and ready to have more episode based discussions!

For next week, I've taken the liberty of choosing a theme: revisitations! When a franchise as storied as as Star Trek has sequels, old favorites are sure to pop up to drive up the nostalgia factor and make the universe have a sense of continuity. So let's revisit returning TOS characters in later series! There are some true gems in this list, including one that's tied to the game's backstory in a big way!

Forum Image

TNG: "Unification, Part Two" (Season 5, episode 8)

Has Spock betrayed the Federation to the Romulan Empire?? A dismayed Starfleet sends Data and Picard to Romulus to get the story from the horse's (or is that sehlat's?) mout, proving thatRomulans are so cool, even Kirk and Picard want to cosplay as them ;) I've chosen part two only, to save people time... Spock is in part one for all of 10 seconds, and the recap at the start of part two fills you in on all you need to know. Though if you have the time, by all means, watch both parts!

This episode was Sela's last TNG appearance, and it established the unification movement, as well as introducing D'Tan, who now "runs" New Romulus in-game!

Forum Image

TNG: "Relics" (Season 6, episode 4)

When the Enterprise D receives a distress call from a ship that's been lost for 75 years, they are surprised to find a survivor suspended in the transporter's buffer. But this isn't just any survivor... it's good ol' Scotty! But what happens when the man who was once the greatest engineer in the fleet (that is, until startrek.com decides to "declare poll results" that "prove" B'Elana Torres is THE greatest engineer in all of Star Trek! *rolls eyes*) starts being treated like an annoying child? A poignant look at ageism, perhaps no other episode in TNG drove the differences between it and TOS home as much as "Relics". Recommended!

Forum Image

VOY: "Flashback" (Season 3, episode 2)

Not really a proper appearance, this episode -as per its title- is a flashback. When Tuvok is suddenly afflicted by Vulcan conniptions, Janeway and the Doctor examine the cause: flashback to Tuvok's time as an ensign aboard the Excelsior! This episode is a very interesting companion piece to Undiscovered Country, and it includes another surprise cameo!

Honorable mentions:

Encounter at Farpoint part 2 features a severely aged Bones McCoy, but he was used as a throwaway cameo, and not part of the episode's plot.

And then there's Generations, with Kirk "coming back from the dead"... a film so bad I cannot in good conscience ask anyone else to see. Nuff said!

chrisroark
Captain

Generations never happened.
Period.
Scotty, in Relics, says to Riker (moron) "I bet Captain Kirk dragged the old ship out of mothballs to rescue me." or similar, which he would not have said had he believed Kirk dead in Generations, which never happened.
Period.
(Really, dude's gotta blow up a planet to re-enter the Nexus when all he has to do is fly a shuttle at it & moron loses a Galaxy-class to a single bop, really, the same moron who lost the Enterprise to fewer than half a dozen Ferengi boarders so few years before. Moron. Eff, I hate Riker.)
Besides, Kirk said he knew he'd be alone when he died, not cradled by some bald Brit, & the Enterprise-A had twenty-some years of life in her when he said "Second star to the left & straight on till morning," beginning another, at least, five-year mission I would not be surprised to learn became twenty.
Skonn
Fleet Council

Awarded:

chrisroark wrote:
Generations never happened.
Period.
Scotty, in Relics, says to Riker (moron) "I bet Captain Kirk dragged the old ship out of mothballs to rescue me." or similar, which he would not have said had he believed Kirk dead in Generations, which never happened.
Period.
(Really, dude's gotta blow up a planet to re-enter the Nexus when all he has to do is fly a shuttle at it & moron loses a Galaxy-class to a single bop, really, the same moron who lost the Enterprise to fewer than half a dozen Ferengi boarders so few years before. Moron. Eff, I hate Riker.)
Besides, Kirk said he knew he'd be alone when he died, not cradled by some bald Brit, & the Enterprise-A had twenty-some years of life in her when he said "Second star to the left & straight on till morning," beginning another, at least, five-year mission I would not be surprised to learn became twenty.

The mothballs quote is a nice way of looking at it... as far as a single BOP taking out the D, to be fair, they DID exploit Riker's only weakness:

BOOBS!

Quadrofonic
Fleet Duty Officer

Awarded:

Flashback is one of the few Voyager episodes I'd watch again, because it prominently features Sulu and Excelsior. I tend to prefer my Voyager eps with as little Voyager-ness in them as possible.

I'm going to watch Star Trek 0 again for the purpose of comparing Spock's appearance in the film to Unification. Could take a few viewings for a proper comparison.

I found the following on Youtube this afternoon, an thought those who've participated in one or more of the Fleet's 'Not A Book Club' nights might enjoy it:

Seems a group of fans held a big gathering to watch and rate all 80 episodes of Star Trek (TOS) over 5 days. This is a quick (and even at eight minutes) concise dissemination of the results (they included a sped up camera feed of the room used too):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FqckmbYDzw4

Awarded:

Nice one, Armsman!

The last few meetings (or should I say, lack thereof), I'm chalking off to general inactivity, seeing as to how almost all of us are burned out on the grind.

So how about we pick up right after Legacy of Romulus hits Holodeck?

Any suggestions on which episodes to discuss first? Post them below!

Vexashen
Vexashen
Fleet Council

Awarded:

I dont have any in mind but um... Romulan themed?

Perhaps the 2 parter on TNG with spock and ruinificationists. Denis Crosby being a bitch and not JUST a butch.

I say the episodes where everyone is pretending to be romulan. Because, everyone WILL be romulan when LoR goes live.
Skonn
Fleet Council

Awarded:

I dont have any in mind but um... Romulan themed?

Perhaps the 2 parter on TNG with spock and ruinificationists. Denis Crosby being a bitch and not JUST a butch.

Bottle0rum wrote:
I say the episodes where everyone is pretending to be romulan. Because, everyone WILL be romulan when LoR goes live.

I hope you realize the irony.. if you scroll up a few posts (on this very page) you'll find that the Unification two parter has been on the schedule all along. :P

If it sounds like I'm bitching, I'm really not... I figured that people are pretty burned out by the game, and that most would come back for LoR. If it's ok with everyone, we can ditch Relics and Flashback to watch more Romulan episodes: Balance of Terror? Enterprise Incident? Neutral Zone? Face of the Enemy? the Enterprise season 4 arc?

Any suggestions, go ahead and post Happy We can have our Rom Book Club night next week's Monday (the 20th), right before playing LoR the next day!

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TOS Veterans Fleet Forum Index -> News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: