View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2
Richard Trent
STO_Armsman
Commodore

re: New Voice Chat

-Protector- wrote:
STO_Armsman wrote:

Discord was a requirement fopr a beta I participated in. I looked at the site and the client hasn't changed. I had a hell of a time with it during that beta (it was a big piece of nagware); and had a hell of a time uninstalling it.

Bottom line: If you decide to go to Discord for voice chat, I won't be participating in voice chat further with TOS vets; as I'm loathe to ever install the Discord client again. I also realize since you want to make voice chat participation mandatory, I may need to leave the Fleet. If that ends up being the case let me know, and I'll drop my characters.

Just curious on how it was a piece of nagware? It hasn't asked for a thing since I installed it on my OSX, iOS and Windows platforms. 

Other than the nagware (which as I said I haven't seen) what's so bad about this piece of free software that you hate it with such vehemence that you threaten to leave the fleet?

I'm genuinely wondering why you feel it's so horrible. Jeff pays for our mumble server and this will alleviate him of that burden, so please give a cogent reason based on current use of the software why we shouldn't use it.

I'm not at all saying you shouldn't use it. I AM saying I will not based on my past experience with it from this past December 2015 - February 2016. Given the problems I had with it installed, and the issues I had fully removing (it left Nagware that kept asking me to come back and reinstall it that popped up on my desktop with every reboot - that I finally nuked with a manual regedit) - and to this day they still send spam to the e-mail I registered my account with (it's an account I use specifically for stuff like this that I know will send spam and I routinely check and clear it once a month); asking me to "come back" - so yeah after all that, I will not give it a second go. If that means I can no longer be a member of TOS Vets, as I said, let me know and I will remove my characters.

Bottom Line:

I would be happy to remain with TOS and participate to the level I can in text chat because if Discord is what you guys decide to go with for voice comms, I will not be re-installing it and so will not be in voice chat for anything.

I am not advocating that Jeff continue to pay for the Mumble server at all - and if Discord works for the rest of the Fleet and allows Jeff to save that money - that is great. However it still doesn't change my position that I personally will not re-install it; and with your proposed change that you want voice chat participation to be mandatory - I won't be able to do that by my own choice; and I'll live with the consequences if that means I can no longer be a part of the TOS Fleet.

Let me know.

Awarded:

I have just done an uninstall of Discord (Control Panel uninstall) , on Windows 10, YMMV, I have not had a pop up and not had any nagware on reboot as you describe...

Vexashen
Vexashen
Fleet Council

Awarded:

Good to know. I was thinking of doing that tonight but since I'm the sever admin I wasn't sure what that would screw up. So thanks for saving me the trouble :)

Looks like the name "Discord" is more apt than we wanted!

Vexashen
Vexashen
Fleet Council

Awarded:

There are now 19 ToS Members signed up on discord. The chat app is great and really lets us connect without even using the voice chat.

The voice portion of the client is light years easier than mumble to install.

So far I at least am a fan.

I certainly don't want Armsman or anyone to feel excluded, because a major change is a Major change. That said, there are a great many people enjoying Discord, myself included. I can already tell by these post that our tech talented members are trying to figure out how to resolve problems. Hang in there. We don't leave our people behind.

Richard Trent
STO_Armsman
Commodore

Martin Brody wrote:

I certainly don't want Armsman or anyone to feel excluded, because a major change is a Major change. That said, there are a great many people enjoying Discord, myself included. I can already tell by these post that our tech talented members are trying to figure out how to resolve problems. Hang in there. We don't leave our people behind.

I do not fell and would not feel excluded because the Fleet goes to a system that works well for the members that use it; and the fact it's free and it's something no one has to pay for is a BIG plus. If it's something I decide not to use, that's my personal decision and shouldn't affect any ultimate decision as to whether or not to go with it.

At this point, I assume it will be the default voice comm system for TOS Vets - and again, as it saves money and is (as I understand it) easier to configure/administrate so that's also a big plus. I myself am still loathe to install the voice portion of the client; and ultimately I'll live with the consequences of that decision, no matter what they ultimately ma be.

Again, I don't feel my deciding not to use it at this point should have any bearing on the ultimate decision to go with it as the permanent voice comm system going forward.

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: