View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Vexashen
Vexashen
Fleet Council

Awarded:

re: New Voice Chat

So after testing for a couple of weeks we have made the decision to switch to Discord as our new voice chat. We encourage the entire fleet(s) to try it out. If you are unsure you want to install it the link I have posted below will sent you to a web based client that you can use to try things out. It gives you about 80% of the fuctionality of the full app. There are also links to the Android, mac OS, and iPhone clients as well.

This software is a great way to stay in touch with the fleet as you can be part of the text chat without logging into the voice chat.

Click me for a server invite!

Last edited by Vexashen on 2016/06/14 10:21:03 pm; edited 6 times in total

It worked fine for me.  I see no down side. 

I also heard a lot of folks enjoying posting gifs to it last night.

GDPR#2267948

re: GDPR#2267948

GDPR#2267948
Skonn
Fleet Council

Awarded:

The minor initial hassle was totally worth it just to hear strokey drunk Albert. I couldn't stop laughing all through that xD

Morgan West
-Protector-
Fleet Council

Awarded:

Skonn wrote:

The minor initial hassle was totally worth it just to hear strokey drunk Albert. I couldn't stop laughing all through that xD

What?! 

It's pretty neat -- that most fun was making Vex try to explain stuff While Jeff and I were PvPing.

Discord was a requirement fopr a beta I participated in. I looked at the site and the client hasn't changed. I had a hell of a time with it during that beta (it was a big piece of nagware); and had a hell of a time uninstalling it.

Bottom line: If you decide to go to Discord for voice chat, I won't be participating in voice chat further with TOS vets; as I'm loathe to ever install the Discord client again. I also realize since you want to make voice chat participation mandatory, I may need to leave the Fleet. If that ends up being the case let me know, and I'll drop my characters.

Awarded:

STO_Armsman wrote:

Discord was a requirement fopr a beta I participated in. I looked at the site and the client hasn't changed. I had a hell of a time with it during that beta (it was a big piece of nagware); and had a hell of a time uninstalling it.

Bottom line: If you decide to go to Discord for voice chat, I won't be participating in voice chat further with TOS vets; as I'm loathe to ever install the Discord client again. I also realize since you want to make voice chat participation mandatory, I may need to leave the Fleet. If that ends up being the case let me know, and I'll drop my characters.

Just curious on how it was a piece of nagware? It hasn't asked for a thing since I installed it on my OSX, iOS and Windows platforms. 

Other than the nagware (which as I said I haven't seen) what's so bad about this piece of free software that you hate it with such vehemence that you threaten to leave the fleet?

I'm genuinely wondering why you feel it's so horrible. Jeff pays for our mumble server and this will alleviate him of that burden, so please give a cogent reason based on current use of the software why we shouldn't use it.

Awarded:

My wife and her Armored Warfare clan have been using this software for a couple of months now. They have a very large player base using it and have had no issues so I really would like to know the downsides of it in specifics as we are only testing the software to see how it works for us. If there really are some major draw backs then by all means please tell us what they are. I'm tempted to uninstall it just to see if i can replicate the issues you had but other than that I don't know what the downsides to it are right now.

How much is Jeff Paying per month for Mumble?

Morgan West
-Protector-
Fleet Council

Awarded:

JayPHailey wrote:

How much is Jeff Paying per month for Mumble?

He pays per year and the amount isn't the issue (it's not a lot, it's not a little), it's the fact that this is free and as functional if not more so.

I agree free is better if it works.  I just wanted to get an idea how much I should throw at him in order to say "Thank you"

Morgan West
-Protector-
Fleet Council

Awarded:

JayPHailey wrote:

I agree free is better if it works.  I just wanted to get an idea how much I should throw at him in order to say "Thank you"

I getcha, I'll let him answer that. :) We have a paypal button on the front page. It's there to specifically pay for fleet expenses like the Mumble server. 

re: Re: New Voice Chat (Maybe)

Vexashen wrote:

We are testing a new voice chat program that has MUCH more functionality than mumble. It is also much easier to set up. Has a web client, mac client, android client etc...

So heres what you need to get started... click this link!

CLICK ME!!!! OM NOM NOM

so i installed it and cant seem to find the fleet what did i do wrong?

Vexashen
Vexashen
Fleet Council

Awarded:

Click this link. https://discord.gg/012e6wUKpYMs9NypA

Awarded:

The crappy part about getting everyone onto this new server is that the invite links expire after 24 hours. So I will try to keep the post updated for at least the next week or 2 on a daily basis. After that I will update the post to say... ask in game for an invite :)

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: