View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Richard Silk
Stuart (speedofheat)
Fleet Council

Awarded:

re: Monday Night Book Club

Just had the opportunity to attend one of these, thanks to my daughter, who woke up in the middle of the night, and i was able to get back to sleep, alas not so much for me, but, i was able to listen to this; it was great fun listening to trekies shooting the breeze Happy Many thanks for organising, I won't be regular attendee, I hope, but I was glad to have the opportunity!

Love the poster/covers very well done!

Awarded:

"Just before they went into warp, I beamed the whole kit and kaboodle into their engine room, where they'll be no tribble at all." -- Scotty

I'm planning on recording the mumble chat of the book club. Does anyone have any suggestions where to post the mp3 file so members of the fleet that want to listen to it afterwards can download it? I figure the files will be 50-100MBs.

Thanks.
Skonn
Fleet Council

Awarded:

Another great Not a Book Club meeting has come and gone, and thanks to our own Scoaler, you'll be able to hear the recording sometime soon!

On to next week, where the theme is "Stranger in a Strange Land!"

Forum Image

TOS: "Assignment: Earth" (Season 2, episode 26)

Who is the mysterious Gary Seven, and just what is his agenda? Is he friend, foe, or neither? What about his assistant? And just what is the deal with that cat? As the Enterprise crew travels back to 1968, these and more questions are answered! Witness the would-be pilot for the show that never was! This week's "poster" is actually the cover for John Byrne's excellent "Assignment: Earth" miniseries, published by IDW. Highly recommended!

Forum Image

DS9: "Little Green Men" (Season 4, episode 8)

When Quark's ship malfunctions and sends him, Rom and Nog to Roswell in 1947, hilarity ensues! Watch as [TEXT REDACTED]

See you next week!
Skonn
Fleet Council

Awarded:

Our thanks again to everyone who was a part of last week's Not a book club night! I apologize for the lateness, so without further ado, next week's blurb!

We all know them. And some of us have sat through them: the worst episodes EVUR! Are they really all that bad? Join us and find out!

Forum Image

TOS: Spock's Brain (Season 3, episode 1. Poster credit goes to Mike Carano)

Held by many to be THE worst TOS episode! When a woman with strange powers beams aboard the Enterprise and whisks away Spock's brain... how will Kirk and co. get it back? And worse... what will they do once they find it?

Forum Image

VOY: Threshold (Season 2, episode 15)

If Spock's Brain has a reputation for being the worst TOS episode, Threshold has one for being the worst episode in ALL of Star Trek... yikes! Like many of you, I go in blind.. perhaps, in some cases, ignorance is bliss!

Forum Image

ENT: These are the voyages... (Season 4, episode 22)

The end of Enterprise, and the end of the Trek franchise on TV. For some of us, it was a sad day, and the episode was a handful of salt in an open wound. An amalgamation of the attitudes of Braga and Berman, who'd lorded over the franchise since Gene's passing were laid for all to witness, one last time. I suspect this episode will give us the most discussion fodder this week. Trekkies love to vent, after all ;)

See you Monday!
Scoaler
Captain

***possible spoilers in the link***

I was doing some reading about star trek's worst episodes, and I found a pretty decent link.

http://www.whygodwhy.org/t2044-hot-cancer-s-10-worst-star-trek-episodes-movies

There were a bunch of comments and posts in this thread that had me laughing so hard. I thought it might have some fodder for our discussion.
Skonn
Fleet Council

Awarded:

So we've done the worst episodes... and are moving on to the very best!

Forum Image

TOS: "Space Seed" (Season 1, episode 24)

One or the best TOS episodes introduced one of the best villains in Trek history! Khan was so unforgettable, he was used again in the best Trek film of all time..

Forum Image

"Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan"

Considered by many a Trekkie to be THE definitive Trek film, WoK potentially saved the film franchise! Join us in discussing this cinematic gem!

BONUS!

Our own DangerOneDanger has opened a contest! This Monday night, during our Not a Book Club meeting, bring your toon disguised as any character from either Space Seed or Wrath of Khan! Prizes will be awarded to the top three places! See you there!
DangerOneDanger
Captain

Awarded:

Elvis' Mastiff had puppies! I will be awarding the winners of the costume contest Mastiff non-combat pets (white, black and either grey or brown)...if you already have the Mastiff and are chosen as one of the three finalists, and you wish to have some other prize...we'll work out the details then...just YOU the winner... and ...Fionna!

Danger
Scoaler
Captain

If anyone wants to listen to recordings of the book club, I've been recording the talks we've had for the past few weeks. I've been lazy (read not bored enough) and haven't done any editing to remove silent spots or clean anything up. I started playing with the first episode, but I got tired after listening and modifying the first 15 minutes...

I've put them up on my M$ $kydrive location here:

http://sdrv.ms/MKo9EA
Skonn
Fleet Council

Awarded:

Many thanks to Danger for providing the prizes in our first ever TOS vets costume contest! Congrats to all the winners!

Next week will focus on one of the most charismatic and memorable characters in Star Trek.. the inscrutable, omnipotent Q!

What's this? Q is not the first member of the Continuum we met? Verily, 'tis true! And just who is this Q being anyway? Watch these episodes, and join us Monday night!

Forum Image

TOS: "The Squire of Gothos" (Season 1, episode 18)

When the crew of the Enterprise is kidnapped by a nigh-omnipotent being -who has a fascination with Earth's Napoleonic period- they'll have to play by his rules if they want to escape... or will they? Things may not be what they seem!

Forum Image

TNG: "Q Who" (Season 2, episode 16)

One of Q's many attempts to understand humans (by pestering his favourite one, Jean-Luc Picard), this episode proved to be a turning point for the franchise, introducing a new threat... no thanks to Picard's smarminess!

Forum Image

DS9: "Q-Less" (Season 1, episode 7)

In one of the many attemtps to tie DS9 into TNG, Q visited the station.. to unexpected results!

See you next Monday!
Quadrofonic
Fleet Duty Officer

Awarded:

A few suggestions for future book clubs:

- Nova Squad / Red squad
TNG First Duty
TNG Lower Decks
DS9 Valiant

- Section 31
DS9 Inquisition
DS9 Inter Arma Enim Silent Legis
DS9 Extreme measures

- The Loresong of Kor
DS9 Blood Oath
DS9 The Sword of Kahless
DS9 Once More Unto the Breach
Skonn
Fleet Council

Awarded:

Quad, your suggestions are great, and very appreciated. So much so that you get to pick one of the three sets for next week!

Let me know what you decide tonight.
Quadrofonic
Fleet Duty Officer

Awarded:

Well let's start with these:

Nova Squad / Red squad

TNG 5x9 First Duty: Wesley is finally a real character rather than a mascot

- First screen appearance of Starfleet Academy
- Introduces the character Boothby
- Introduces the character Sito Jaxa
- Introduces the actor Robert Duncan McNeil

Forum Image

TNG 7x15 Lower Decks: Actually established a TV storytelling standard

- A glimpse into the life of your Duty Officers. Count how many DOFF assignments you see!
- Continues the story of Sito Jaxa

Forum Image

DS9 6x22 Valiant: Red Squad take USS Valiant on her shakedown cruise

Forum Image

- The same Red Squad that was duped into assisting the Dominion in DS9 "Homefront/Paradise Lost"
- Introduces the Jem'Hadar battleship

Forum Image
Skonn
Fleet Council

Awarded:

We had an interesting conversation this week, ranging from battlefield promotions to real-world army ranks and commissions!

Before we get to next week, there are two things I'd like to bring up:

With Scoaler being MIA, we need someone else to record the meetings. Anyone have the programs/knowhow? Next week's topic, I think, will be of interest to most ;)

Beamer has asked me to plug the STOIC Podcast, as he looks for a co-host. So if you're interested, head over to his post:

http://tosfleet.guildlaunch.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8512269&p=30978834&gid=205090#30978834bottom
/shilling

We have decided to cover the most iconic adversaries in TOS next week! The ruthless, efficient, multi-faceted Klingons!

Forum Image

TOS: "Errand of Mercy" (Season 1, episode 27)

And what an introduction we had! Meet Commander Kor, military governor of Organia! Or is he? As Kirk and Spock are trapped on a contested planet, cut off from Starfleet and the Enterprise, will their wits be enough to survive the full strength of the Klingon military machine? In a rare occasion, Errand is an episode whose repercussions were felt throughout TOS! Not to be missed!

Forum Image

TOS: "A Private Little War" (Season 2, episode 16)

With restrictions applied to them, both the Federation and the Empire's days of directly interfering are over, right? Wrong! When Kirk re-visits the idyllic planet, Neural, he is shocked to discover recent developments! Perhaps the TOS episode that best explores the nuts and bolts of the Fed/Empire conflict (and the real world events that inspired it), Little War also introduces the deadly Mugatos!

Forum Image

TOS: "Day of the Dove" (Season 3, episode 11)

Kang! Kor may have been charismatic and methodical, but Kang is the epitome of Klingon badassness (in ALL eras. Kang would eat Martok for breakfast!) When a Klingon crew runs free inside the Enterprise, will both crews overcome blind hatred and certain doom?

If you want to complete your experience (and weren't with us for Tribble theme night), hunt down "Trouble with Tribbles!"

BONUS!

IDW made an excellent miniseries covering the TOS episodes from the Klingon perspective in "Klingons: Blood will tell"!! Order it now!

Forum Image
Skonn
Fleet Council

Awarded:

Another point I'd like to bring up is that a few EU Hegemony fleeties have asked about having their own Book Club, on a time better suited for them. I'm all for it! Get in touch with speedofheat, and I'm sure he'll help you set it up!
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TOS Veterans Fleet Forum Index -> News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: