View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Vexashen
Vexashen
Fleet Council

Awarded:

re: Monday Night Book Club

id just like to say any episode where hoshi runs around in tight shirts is a good one...

Ya, the bad Hoshi was quite good.
Scoaler
Captain

Elim Garak

I'm a huge Deep Space Nine fan, and Garak is arguably the best reoccurring character in the Trek franchise.

Normally on Not a Book Club, we pick out episodes to watch to fit a theme. This time, I'd like to change things around and pick a theme, and ask you to watch your favorite episodes that include Garak and we can spend the time talking about. Don't forget to bring your favorite Garak quotes! If you're a fan of DS9, you gotta have one. Everyone I know that likes Garak has a favorite quote.

If you have any favorite Garak episodes, post replies with the episode names with season/episodes so people can watch it if they want.

If you haven't watched DS9, you're missing out. Join us on Monday night and hear some DS9 fans talk about one of the best characters in the series.

Sconn-- Get your internet straightened out so I don't have to do this anymore.
Skonn
Fleet Council

Awarded:

Personally, I have to go with "The Wire" (Season 2, episode 22)

The first ep that went beyond hinting and showed us there was much more to that humble tailor than met the eye!

Quadrofonic
Fleet Duty Officer

Awarded:

DS9 321 "The Die is Cast"
The Tal Shiar and Obsidian Order attack the Dominoin. Second of two parts.
Quote:
"Do you know what the sad part is, Odo? I'm a very good tailor."

- Garak

DS9 524 "Empok Nor"
One of my personal favorite DS9 episodes for many reasons, combining elements of several great scifi films.

Quote:
"He asked me to get a coil spanner for him, I just turned my back for a second."
"That's a shame. And the worst part of it is, this isn't a coil spanner." (stabs Amaro) "It's a flux coupler."

- Amaro and Garak

DS9 619 "In the Pale Moonlight"
This ep is of course better known for Sisko's quotes, but Garak plays a major role and gets his share.

Quote:
"That's why you came to me, isn't it captain? Because you knew I could do those things that you weren't capable of doing. Well, it worked. And you'll get what you wanted: a war between the Romulans and the Dominion. And if your conscience is bothering you, you should soothe it with the knowledge that you may have just saved the entire Alpha Quadrant, and all it cost was the life of one Romulan senator, one criminal... and the self-respect of one Starfleet officer. I don't know about you, but I'd call that a bargain."

- Garak

For the next Not a Book Club, we agreed on a Quark/Ferengi Theme. The three episodes we chose were from Deep Space Nine again.

Bar Association Season 4 Episode 16
Quark's employees, led by Rom, form a union against Quark's unfair labor practices and promptly go on strike.

The House of Quark Season 3 Episode 3
After Quark lies about killing a Klingon in his bar, the dead man's widow abducts Quark to the Klingon homeworld to marry him.

The Magnificent Ferengi Season 6 Episode 10
When Quark's mother Ishka is captured by the Dominion, Quark, Rom, and Nog lead a team of Ferengi into a meeting on Empok Nor with Keevan as their payment.
Quadrofonic
Fleet Duty Officer

Awarded:

The Magnificent Ferengi is in my Top10 DS9 eps, and contains one of the best guest appearances in all of Trekdom. Don't miss this one.

(I presume everyone in this Fleet is old enough to know who it is.)

Awarded:

Quadrofonic wrote:
contains one of the best guest appearances in all of Trekdom. Don't miss this one.

I didn’t know she was Ferengi although I can’t look past soft light they used on her. *swoon

Awarded:

mark (James Bailey) wrote:
Quadrofonic wrote:
contains one of the best guest appearances in all of Trekdom. Don't miss this one.

I didn’t know she was Ferengi although I can’t look past soft light they used on her. *swoon

I was referring to the Vorta...

Quadrofonic wrote:
mark (James Bailey) wrote:
Quadrofonic wrote:

I was referring to the Vorta...

Iggy Pop *cough*

Great men do not seek power, they have power thrust upon them!
Skonn
Fleet Council

Awarded:

Thanks to everyone who turned out for another Monday Night Not a Book Club!

Some of our newer fleeties may be wondering "just what is book club"?

It's a get-together we do every Monday night, where we discuss Trek episodes we watch during the week (like a book club). Any and all Trek series are fair game, but we usually work on a theme. So if you want to join in, jump on mumble!

Also wanted to point out that we've been starting earlier, to give more people a chance to join us. Next Monday, we start at 10 p.m. EST!

On to the week's theme, suggested by our fleetie Brody!

The women of Trek! Trek has been known for introducing strong female characters, so this week honors that. This won't be an "eye candy of Trek" series of episodes, but rather ones that focus on the roles strong women have in Trek culture. On to the shows!

Forum Image

TOS: "The Turnabout Intruder" (Season 3, episode 24)

Meet Janice Lester, a woman who has more reason than most to hate James T. Kirk. The series finale of TOS also left us with a poignant look at women's roles in Starfleet.

Forum Image

ENT: "Bound" (Season 4, episode 17)

When Captain Archer is forced to accept three Orion slave girls as a "gift", the crew of the Enterprise get more than they bargained for!

Without a doubt, "Bound" is the most in-depth look at Orion society in all of Trekdom. While it would have been easy to devolve to the level of senseless
eye-candy *coughcoughSEVENOFNINEcough*, this episode is not what you'd expect! Highly recommended!

I would like to add a TNG, VOY or DS9 episode to the mix to round up the week's theme. Does anyone have any suggestions? See you next Monday!

Quadrofonic
Fleet Duty Officer

Awarded:

Ensign Ro was intended to be a strong female recurring character in TNG. On one hand, it took several tries to get this right. On the other hand, I could find only one episode I'd recommend that doesn't include children as main characters. On the gripping hand, it is also a mystery which makes it a winner in my book.

TNG 514: Conundrum

After the crew's memories are mysteriously erased, the computer records indicate that the Federation is at war with the Lysians, and that the Enterprise has been ordered to attack their command center. Without their service records, their personalities dictate how they react to this chaotic situation.

Forum Image

A close second was TNG 724: Preemptive Strike.

Evolving the character of Ro, Michelle Forbes epitomized the strong female lead with a dark side as Admiral Cain of the Battlestar Pegasus. She has also done voice work for the Half-Life series of games and DC Universe Online.

Forum Image

Awarded:

And she was in season 2 of "True Blood".... twisted

Unfortunately always clothed...

Just thought I'd through that in there...

Qapla'!

Dahar Master Myr'Sendri (KDF main, Tac DPS'er)

Diplomacy is the fine art of saying "Nice Doggy" while finding a big stick....

Illigitimi Non Carborundum!
Scoaler
Captain

For the next Not a Book Club, Brody wanted to talk about ships, so we decided on three episodes that included ships as major plot devices.

TOS
The Ultimate Computer
Season 2, Episode 24
The Enterprise tests a computer that, if successful, could replace Kirk as the captain.

Voyager
Message in a Bottle
Season 4, Episode 14
Seven of Nine finds an abandoned subspace relay network that has the ability to send a message, or in this case the Doctor, to a Starfleet ship detected in the Alpha Quadrant.

Deep Space Nine
Sacrifice of Angels
Season 6, Episode 6
A large fleet of Federation ships head towards Deep Space 9 to stop the Dominion destroying the Wormhole minefield. A Dominion fleet meets them in battle, can the Defiant make it in time?
Quadrofonic
Fleet Duty Officer

Awarded:

Scoaler wrote:
Voyager
Message in a Bottle
Season 4, Episode 14
Seven of Nine finds an abandoned subspace relay network that has the ability to send a message, or in this case the Doctor, to a Starfleet ship detected in the Alpha Quadrant.

I've never said this before, but: Thank you for making me watch this episode of Voyager.

The three main characters had excellent timing, and one of them was a starship.

Page 7 of 9

Jump to: