Post new topic   Reply to topic    TOS Veterans Fleet Forum Index -> Captain's Quarters (Character Bios)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vexashen
Vexashen
Fleet Council

Awarded:

re: The Death of Marko Ramius / Teaches Promotion

“Captain Teach! Mariner Ten is hailing us. Requesting you take the transmission privately.”

“Har... Send it to me quarters then Mr. Saaadt.”

Captain Teach walked down the corridor of his Defiant class toward his quarters. Opening the door and sitting at his desk he punch up his comm system.

“Teach here. What ye need from me and me crew?”

“Captain Teach we have talked about this. You are part of our fleet and are needed to forward the goals of the Federation. You are not here to put up with us and our whims.”

“Yar. So ye keep telling me. What is it I can do for ye Admiral Cutter?”

“Bad news Teach. Admiral Ramius... we've lost him.”

Two days earlier:

“Captain! They're powering up their weapons!”

“Shields up, full power to weapons. Ahead full! Give me attack pattern Omega 3.”

Bulk heads began to burst as the Red October took heavy fire from all five Romulan Warbirds. The operations station exploded killing the cadet manning the station. Red Squad is down a valued cadet early into the fight.

“Target the lead ship! Give me an attack pattern alpha and fire on my mark. Hit them as fast as you can. Hold on the port shield facing.”

“Aye Captain”, replied the weapons officers and Conn officers in unison.

“Sir starboard shields are falling. Structural integrity is down to seventy-eight percent!”

“Give me emergency power to shields and distribute from other facings.”

“Captain! The Warbirds shields are failing!”

“Fire all you have at that damned pointy eared bastard!”

The Warbird burst into a ball of plasma fire and shrapnel a second later.

The two wing men came in next with two more in reserve.

“Captain we're being flanked by the next two ships!”

“Give me an evasive manoeuvres and come in behind the port ship.”

“Were in position captain”

“Very good. Attack pattern beta and give me a directed energy modulation”

The second warbird barely had time to react as its hull burned away right though its shields. The explosion rocked the Red October.

“Captain three ships remaining.”

“Forget the closest one. Target the farther ship and give it all you've got”

“Aye Captain!”

“Whatever you do keep moving at full throttle. We're badly out gunned!”

“Sir structural integrity down to sixty-five percent!”

“Sir target is coming into cannon angle.”

“Never mind that. Fire whatever we can now!”

The third Warbirds shields started to buckle. The Red October came in on the starboard side unleashing its disruptor cannons with brutal effect. As the Warbird exploded a massive plasma torpedo came off the remaining wing man of the lead three ships.

“Captain! Torpedo incoming!”

“All hands brace for impact! Give us every ounce of speed you can Conn!”

“Aye Captain!”

“Target that damned ship and give me an attack pattern alpha, fire on my mark! Fire at will! Full cannon spread on the forward shields!”

The torpedo hit the Red October directly on the deflector dish and started a massive plasma fire. Just as the torpedo hit the Red October unleashed its largest volley of disruptor fire yet. The fourth Warbird melted away into a warp core explosion.

“Captain structural integrity is down to twenty-eight percent and falling fast!”

“Target the final ship. What do we have left?”

“Sir weapons are offline, the armour is nearly gone and our shields are down. I... I’m not sure what we can do. Engines are all we have left.”

“I see. Put us on a collision course for the final Romulan. Full speed ahead and God Speed.”

The Red October rocketed ahead and plunged nose first into the final Warbird right into its “beak”. The Warbird exploded taking the Red October with it with all hands aboard. The battle lasted only 2 minutes but cost the life of fifty of the Federations elite cadets and cost the Ghost fleet one of its top ranking officers.

Present time:

“Mr. Teach with Ramius gone we need someone to take his place in our fleet. Against the advice of some of our officers you have been nominated as his replacement.”

“I uh... I don’t know what to say Admiral Cutter. I have lost my mentor.”

“To mark your promotion we have a new ship for you to put through its paces. Its a ship we acquired from the mirror universe. It appears to be from the twenty-ninth century.”

Last edited by Vexashen on 2012/10/08 12:13:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

I was only an ensign on my first tactical post aboard the USS Stark when the Borg invaded Federation space at Vega in 2409. The Stark was merely a research vessel, and not properly equipped for combat, so we were tasked to search and rescue duty on the perimeter while the heavies went head to head with the enemy. Federation ships were exploding faster than our sensors could track them. Our helmsman, Lt. Firkins, was so distraught by what was on the view screen that she never saw what was left of the saucer section from the shattered USS Intrepid drifting toward us. The Stark shuddered on impact, nearly severing the port nacelle clean off.

The Captain ordered me to engineering to assess the damage. Due to my experience space walking at the academy, I soon found myself outside the ship, hurriedly trying to spot weld some structural supports in place to keep the gaping hole in the port side of Deck 19 from buckling. I was so focused on what I was doing that I never saw the Borg sphere warp in on the starboard side, nor did I see them launch the plasma torpedo that struck us amidships.

Had I seen it coming, I might have secured myself to the hull. Instead, the resulting explosion knocked me clear of the ship before the rapidly expanding plasma fire engulfed what what remained of the Stark and my crew mates. As I watched my friends burn, I tried to stabilize my spin with badly damaged navigational thrusters before they finally went offline. I knew my fate would soon be that of my friends, as I then realized that I was leaking oxygen. Slowly, but not slowly enough. I had merely 23 minutes left before I passed out. A few more before I was dead. Despite little hope, I activated my emergency beacon.

Debris drifted all around me. The body of a headless Andorian Starfleet officer brushed past my leg. As I tried to identify his rank, I saw a wounded USS Red October desperately engaging a Borg cube and sphere simultaneously. Prior to the explosion aboard the Stark, we witnessed the October destroy half a dozen Borg vessels before starting to succumb to their overwhelming numbers. While other search and rescue teams maintained radio silence for fear of attracting the Borg's attention, the Red October hailed my comm.

"This is Captain Marco Ramius of the USS Red October. Fire your tether rope at the large piece of deflector drifting at your 5 o'clock. We're gonna tractor you into the shuttle bay."

The Borg opened fire again and started ripping the October from bow to stern. Instead of redirecting power to shields, Captain Ramius used his remaining auxiliary to power the tractor beam. The Red October then returned fire with a full spread of quantums. When the cube exploded, the October was caught by the blast of the warp core of the destroyed Borg vessel. The October's engines went down and she was listing. As the remaining sphere closed in on the helpless Red October, a shuttlecraft appeared and went to full impulse while immediately firing both phasers and a torpedo salvo at the sphere. The weapons fire opened a small rift in the hull of the sphere, but it was the impact of the shuttle at full speed that disabled the sphere and ultimately saved the October. And me.

Moments later, a small figure in a EV suit thrusted into view. It was Captain Ramius. He had beamed himself into space 1 click out seconds after setting the shuttle's autopilot for a collision course for the sphere. By the time we made it back to the Red October, they had main power back online and we were able to warp out of the system unlike so many of our valorous brethren.

Captain Ramius was promoted soon after. I know for a fact that his bravery and tactical innovation saved hundreds, if not thousands, of lives that day, including mine. He put his life and the lives of his crew in harms way to save the life of one man. And that one man, now the Captain of the USS Lannister, will never forget him. Godspeed Admiral Ramius.
JayPHailey
Captain

Very cool.  I just ewanted to let you know that someone read this.

Jay

Vexashen
Vexashen
Fleet Council

Awarded:

Im not going to lie. I'd forgotten that I had even written that story lol.

Jump to: