View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrScott79

re: The 2800- Episode 2 thread.

Just a thread to open a little discussion over the latest featured episode. Since there is no real place to be posting general (non-fleet) STO discussion, I thought I’d stick it here. (p.s. could the forum do with an area for out of character discussion?)
The second episode of 2800 series, ‘Of Bajor’, was released yesterday and already seems to be attracting a pretty major bashing, both on the official forum, and even in our own fleet chat feed. I was wondering how warranted that is.
Obviously, it is not a very combat heavy episode, and is very much aimed at introducing/developing characters and setting the scene towards the remaining two instalments. I actually liked the effort that had got into the Bajor city scene, and in the shuttlebay set for the Holodeck. Also, the Bajor stuff with regards to their reaction over their new house guests seemed appropriate enough. Additionally, as we all know, most of the Star Trek series loved an ‘After the battle’, slow paced episode (such as ‘Family’) to explore the characters reactions to events, so this type of episode is not out of place. And it does give the impression that the Alpha quadrant forces are on the back foot, not able to just waltz back into DS9 on a whim. m
However, it terms of story progression, did this episode really move us on, or was it more of a filler? It lacks the pace of the other featured episodes, such as the Breen and the Borg ones.

Scott

'Zeal Does Not Rest'
mark (James Bailey)
Fleet Council

Awarded:

I have not done the mission yet. I will try it tonight.

It is funny you said that. It remindes me of the Empire Strikes Back. When I saw that movie i thought the same thing (although I was just a kid) "more of a filler with no real ending". Now it is my favourite of all of the Star Wars movies.

let me go play it so I know what I am talking about ;)

Ironically, I just blogged about this episode: http://waynebasta.com/2012/02/of-bajor/

Overall, I liked this episode more than the first one. The Bajoran city map was great, where as I hate the DS9 map. I didn't mind the non-combat stuff, and the Changling was well done.

There also was not a ton of cutscenes and voice work, which I think Cryptic does a horrible job at. I mean, ruins the experience bad, looks like it was made by inexperienced fans over the weekend bad. The first mission would have been better without the cutscenes and voice work I think.

The Rogue Blogger
Rogue Imagination Store
Twitter: @WayneBasta
Richard Silk
Stuart (speedofheat)
Fleet Council

Awarded:

I'm with Maarkean on this, I liked it and a little more than the first episode, i liked the fact that i did a trek episode without actually killing anything (holodeck was a holodeck).

And when i saw the sunset over Bajor's city was ... frankly very nicely done indeed

The non combat dialogue is a bit phoney still, but better than in previous episodes. I've not seen the sunset yet- will have to replay it to see.
Also, at least they did not have an abomination such as the awful fake Irish accent that they gave Cdr Andrews in the first episode. Shudder. Not the voice I would have given Kurland though.

'Zeal Does Not Rest'
Sky Falls In Thunder
paynesgrey
Fleet Duty Officer

Dialogue was kind of hinky, wasn't it?

But the mission content shows promise. It makes sense that it would take time to prepare either a counter strike, or the means to convince the 2800 that the war actually is over. So as an "in between" episode it's pretty good. I've noticed an increase in the number of story mechanisms as the featured episodes come out, I'm assuming they are using the featured episodes as a test bed for such goodies.

The more content, the better. Leveling an alt is kind of a trial, doing the same missions over and over again. So I hope they keep cranking out not just the featured episodes, but also more "general" content.
mark (James Bailey)
Fleet Council

Awarded:

DrScott79 wrote:
Also, at least they did not have an abomination such as the awful fake Irish accent that they gave Cdr Andrews in the first episode. Shudder. Not the voice I would have given Kurland though.

Hey wait a moment. All we have to go off of here in North America is; the new guy on Glee, the Leprechaun from Lucky Charms and Tom Cruise from Far and Away… And only one of them is actually Irish. Now I really have to do the mission.

.....You mean.... my t.v. lied?
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TOS Veterans Fleet Forum Index -> News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: