View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skonn
Fleet Council

Awarded:

re: Small glimmer of hope in the latest Ask Cryptic

In the latest Ask Cryptic, along with DStahl's usual vapid shilling and non-commitalambiguities, I spotted something that -if actually done- would put a smile on many of our faces:

Q: (tpai99) Will there be a Fleet version of the Vesta? What about the new ships that you guys design yourself? Will there be more possibilities to create your own ship?

Dstahl: We haven’t made a final decision on the Fleet Vesta, but it is one of the ships we are considering for a Fleet refit. We do have several new ship designs in the works, along with some older designs from both the TOS and Enterprise era. One of our long term goals is to allow Fleets the ability to customize and/or create their own ships, but we want to make more customization parts for existing ships before we implement that.

-------

Seems a bit odd since I recall them saying they wouldn't do any more ENT-themed content, but hey... the more the merrier, I'm certainly not complaining. Here's hoping we get a TOS-ey skin for each ship, or at least a few!

And while it wasn't discussed, I'd pay zen to get the TOS Defiant patches from "The Tholian Web" and "In a mirror, darkly..."

Source:

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=800861

On a completely unrelated note, the planning workload of a new semester, coupled with an increasingly unreliable connection (plus a bit of a burn out from the holiday event grind) are what has been keeping me out of the game lately. Hope to get on for a while during the weekend... see you all soon!

Richard Trent
STO_Armsman
Commodore

While I hope it's true (and maybe we'll see some Franz Joseph TOS Tech Manual inspired ships); I have a feeling that maybe it's more stuff that was shown in the Remasted TOS episodes and TAS episodes (like the Antares Freighter).

As for Enterprise era stuff - remember they LONG AGO announced they were doing Shran's Andorian Cruiser (and stated before that the model had been finished but they hadn't gotten around to hooking up the rest (Boffs, Powers, etc.) - so that could just be a reference to them finally getting around to finishing that ship.

IMO I think it would be neat if some of the Franz Joseph TOS Tech Manual ship designs were incorporated (or some of the old FASA Star Trek Role-Playing Game ship designs) - and maybe CBS/Cryptic did get then rights to some/all of these; but again, given CBS' stance on a T5 Connie; I'm not holding my breath. ;)

Awarded:

It is obviously the Romulan Bird-of-Prey since they are focusing on those dirty Romulans now!
Forum Image

Awarded:

The Franz Joseph designs would be a very welcome addition to my collection, and I'd buy them all regardless of class (I DID make Fed scis and engineers, after all... I just haven't levelled then yet)

That could almost be an acceptable tradeoff for no connie... almost. It would make more sense if CBS wants to avoid "an iconic ship getting blown up often"... give us alternatives that "FEEL" TOS!

I'm thinking Shran's cruiser is going to end up being the new Andorian ship, with maybe the classic design as an alt skin... I found it weird that they brought Ent up, if you ask me, the vast majority of the Fed side ships have one skin variant that looks very very ENT.

The classic Romulan BoP is at the top of my wishlist for the Romulan faction, even above and beyond the D'Deridex (which is a no-brainer, anyway... here's hoping they don't turn it into the Romulan Galaxy, read: a useless hunk of debris) That and the classic Romulan uniforms, helmet and all, for males and females.

Richard Silk
Stuart (speedofheat)
Fleet Council

Awarded:

I would love for the Franz Joseph stuff to be included, but I don't think its very likely.

Their canon status was revoked sometime ago, and I think their would be licencing issues; but I would love a Franz Joseph Dreadnaught or Destroyer or Scout... but it would "destroy" any argument not to have a Connie... and that's why even as much as I hope for one, I don't think its going to happen...

Awarded:

lets not bash the galaxy... mines damned effective in a tanking role and its pulls decent damage... big jerks... always making fun of my fat bitch of a ship...grumble grumble... fraken braken cotton picking... grumble grumble

Awarded:

Skonn wrote:
It would make more sense if CBS wants to avoid "an iconic ship getting blown up often"...

Like they should talk. Of the six TOS Star Trek movies, the Enterprise was either blown to pieces, flown to pieces, stolen, or decommissioned.

Star Trek 1 -- Stolen (from Decker). Flown to pieces by unfamiliar 'captain'.
Star Trek 2 -- All but blown to pieces by stolen ship.
Star Trek 3 -- Pulls into port all but blown in pieces. Decommissioned. Stolen. Flown still in pieces. (Excelsior not flown because in stolen pieces.) Blown to pieces. Blown in pieces some more. Fatally blown in pieces for realsies. Wreckage falls on planet that then in turn is blown to pieces.
Star Trek 4 -- Still blown to pieces in prior movie. No Connie at all in film. (Crew make due from a stolen lock box cross faction ship. Lucky Scottie had that Zen.)
Star Trek 5 -- Stolen. God gives it His best shot to blow poor Connie to pieces. Director Shatner gives it His best shot blow the franchise into pieces. Viewers want their stolen 90 minutes back.
Star Trek 6 -- Stolen. Flown to pieces (and the Excelsior, too!) "Fly her to pieces, then!" Decommissioned. No more Connies. For realsies.
Generations -- Extra parts glued on to the Excelsior prop model (stolen for use as the new Enterprise) blown to pieces.

Commodore

Doc Hornet wrote:

Star Trek 4 -- Still blown to pieces in prior movie. No Connie at all in film. (Crew make due from a stolen lock box cross faction ship. Lucky Scottie had that Zen.)

Not true - at the end (after Kirk's demotion to Captain); we saw the Constitution Refit Class 1701-A in spacedock; and the film ends with them taking it out for a spin. wink

Jump to: